Mr. Smith is a member of the California State Bar and the New York State Bar and is licensed to practice law before all California and New York State Courts and the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. Smith’s trial practice focuses on litigating personal injury claims, business and real estate disputes, employment practices and intellectual property matters. Mr. Smith has experience in jury trials, court trials and arbitrations.
Mr. Smith has secured favorable results for his clients in personal injury cases. Most recently, Mr. Smith served as lead counsel in obtaining a substantial settlement for clients involved in a dog attack.
In the area of employment law, Mr. Smith has litigated claims involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, and wage disputes.
Mr. Smith has served as co-counsel representing the owner of the trademark “Honey Badger Don’t Care” in trademark infringement actions throughout the country. Mr. Smith has successfully pursued and litigated against infringers and has secured substantial recoveries for his client. He has also represented other trademark owners in protecting their rights, including the hip hop music group Flatbush Zombies.
Each year since 2013, Mr. Smith has been recognized as a Rising Star by Southern California Super Lawyers. This is an honor awarded to the top 2.5% of lawyers in the Southern California area under 40 years of age.
- Lead counsel in obtaining settlement of $418,000 for clients involved in a dog attack.
- Successful representation of owner of famous trademark "Honey Badger Don’t Care" in trademark infringement actions throughout country, achieving significant settlements for the client.
- Lead trial counsel achieving a complete defense of all claims against a prominent real estate broker in a five-week trial for fraud and breach of contract.
- Assisted trial counsel in obtaining a jury verdict in excess of $65 million involving a dispute concerning a partnership agreement for the acquisition, management and financing of a real estate business.
- Assisted trial counsel in obtaining a jury verdict for fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract in excess of $9 million involving a medical practice partnership.
- Co-trial counsel in obtaining a $200,000 judgment after trial for breach of contract against a luxury automobile dealership involving a celebrity-owned exotic automobile, including $138,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Co-trial counsel in a case against a security company for misappropriation of a rare diamond in which judgment was obtained after trial in the sum of $130,000.
- Represented a seller of a business in action against buyer who refused to pay a substantial portion of the purchase price. On the eve of trial, the case settled with the client obtaining a several hundred thousand dollar stipulated judgment.
- Defended real estate property manager against multi-million dollar claim of mismanagement. Was able to resolve the claim for cents on the dollar.
- Represented client who improperly had a judgment entered against him. By applying pressure to Plaintiff and third party national bank, obtained a satisfaction of judgment and a reimbursement of all the attorneys' fees and costs paid by the client.
- Lead counsel in obtaining settlement of $70,000 for clients involved in a dog attack.