Samuel J. Smith is licensed to practice law before all California state courts and the United States District Courts for the Central District of California. Mr. Smith is a member of the California State Bar.
Mr. Smith’s practice focuses on complex business litigation, intellectual property law and entertainment law. His practice includes representation of individuals and companies in the entertainment, fashion and cannabis industries. Mr. Smith has successfully protected intellectual property, including the slogan, “Honey Badger Don’t Care.”
- Represented professional wrestler and actor Dallas Page in trademark infringement case against Jay-Z.
- Represented the Grammy nominated and billboard charts regular, Reggae band Rebelution, against Pitbull and Sony Music.
- Judgment after a well-publicized trial in excess of $100 million involving breach of fiduciary duty in a commercial/probate case through appeal to the California Supreme Court.
- Successfully protected intellectual property, including the slogan, “Honey Badger Don’t Care” and represented its creator against defendants nationwide including Target, Wal-Mart, and Hot Topic.
- Successfully protected the intellectual property of famed designer Steven Shein against several alleged infringers including Hot Topic.
- Successfully protected the intellectual property of “Highly Educated TI”, the biggest manufacturer of titanium cannabis accessories in the United States.
- Successfully prosecuted defamation action on behalf of the highly successful trainer and manager Juanito Ibarra against MMA Fighters Rampage Jackson and Tito Ortiz.
- Several multi-million dollar settlements against insurance companies for bad faith.
- Represents actors, cinematographers, producers, and writers in the motion picture industry.
- Represents consultants, manufacturers and distributors of cannabis throughout the United States.
- Obtained and defeated multiple requests for restraining orders.